This is Henri. He and his friends disapprove of using spreadsheets to manage your local government’s boards, commissions and committees. Here’s why:
They know spreadsheets have long been a staple of local government boards and committees. But as these entities become more complex, and their work more demanding, spreadsheets are failing to meet their needs in several ways:
- Spreadsheets are notoriously insecure. They are often shared via email or stored on personal computers, which makes them vulnerable to cyberattacks. Local government boards and committees handle sensitive data, such as personnel records, so it is important to use a secure system to manage this data.
- Spreadsheets are prone to human error. Accidental data entry errors, formula errors, and version control issues can all lead to inaccurate information. This can have serious consequences for local government boards and committees, which need to rely on accurate data to make decisions.
- Spreadsheets make it difficult for municipal staff to collaborate effectively. When multiple people are editing a spreadsheet at the same time, it can lead to conflicts and confusion. It can also be difficult to track changes and keep everyone on the same page.
- Local government boards and committees are subject to a variety of compliance requirements. Spreadsheets can make it difficult to comply with these requirements, as they can be difficult to audit and track.
OnBoardGOV is specifically designed to manage local government boards and committees membership. These solutions offer several advantages over spreadsheets, including:
- Recency: The version in front of you is always the most recent. When OnBoardGOV is updated anywhere, it’s updated for everyone. There’s no emailing back-and-forth and losing track of the most recent version.
- Security: The data that goes into OnBoardGOV is stored on our servers. This helps to protect sensitive data from unauthorized access.
- Accuracy: OnBoardGOV automates many of the tasks associated with managing board membership, such as tracking terms of office, generating reports, and accepting applications*, to name a few. This helps to reduce the risk of human error.
- Flexibility: OnBoardGOV has several add-on modules to choose from, including Applications, Attendance, Data Analytics, and Certifications and Training Tracker.
- Compliance: OnBoardGOV can help local government boards and committees comply with a variety of requirements, such as conflict of interest disclosure requirements.
Image: Self-Portrait, Henri Fantin-Latour (1861)
National Gallery of Art